What were you doing on October 13th? Chances are you don’t remember, but it’s a date we will remember for years to come. That’s because we were sitting in a massive hall, packed with brewers from across the nation, and heard an amazing announcement: Mother Earth Brewing won a Bronze medal at the Great American Beer Festival (GABF.) The timing was perfect - just as we celebrated our 3rd year of operation! Remember that incredible party in the Mother Earth Brewing parking lot? Man that was awesome!! It seems so long ago.
Our bronze medal was for our Dark Cloud, Munich-Style Dunkel. Always a favorite and sure to be even more in demand now.
If you aren’t a big craft beer lover, it’s hard to explain the significance of winning at the GABF. It’s no exaggeration that a win at the GABF is what every brewery strives for; it’s the ultimate beer award. The GABF is put on by the Brewers Association, a not-for-profit trade association dedicated to small and independent American brewers. Brewers Association members make more than 99 percent of the beer brewed in the U.S. Over 4,000 beers were entered in this year’s GABF!
Here are some more cool stats.
GABF by the Numbers
- The festival sold out in 45 minutes during the public ticket sale.
- 2,700+ beers in the festival hall—the biggest selection of American beers ever served.
- More than 36,500 gallons of beer served.
- 49,000 attendees
- The first festival was held in 1982 at the Harvest House Hotel in Boulder. There were 22 breweries, 40 beers and 800 attendees. This year, 666 breweries entered the competition!
- Average number of beers in each style category: 51
- 185 beer judges, from 11 countries participating
If you want to learn more, check out the GABF website.
Stephen, Josh, and I raise a pint to all Mother Earth Brewing team members; we are so thankful to have such a dynamic team. And thanks again to all of you for helping us enjoy the start of another growing year!