Charlotte, N.C. – Pints for Prostates is partnering with 51 craft brewers across the United States to use the everyday, run of the mill bottle cap to start conversations about a critical men’s issue and encourage guys to take charge of their health.
As part of Crowns for a Cure 2017, Pints for Prostates is distributing more than 2 million bottle caps – known in the beverage trade as crowns – to craft brewers around the country to use on beer they package for distribution during September, which is National Prostate Cancer Awareness Month. The crowns feature the Pints for Prostates logo on the outside, with messages under the caps designed to encourage men to learn more about the importance of regular health screenings.
“Pints for Prostates has the support of some great breweries to put a reminder in the hands of men about a major health issue,” said Rick Lyke, a prostate cancer survivor who started Pints for Prostates in 2008 after successful treatment for the disease. “Crowns for a Cure will start thousands of conversations and encourage guys to talk with their doctors about scheduling health screenings.”
Each brewery taking part in the program is receiving between 10,000 to 70,000 Pints for Prostates crowns. The brewers from 27 states will use the caps in bottling runs and distribute the beer to retail accounts during September.
Pints for Prostates 2017 Crowns for a Cure participating breweries include:
- Alamo Beer Co., San Antonio, Texas
- AleSmith Brewery, San Diego, Calif.
- Bayou Teche Brewing, Arnaudville, La.
- Bear Republic Brewing, Healdsburg, Calif.
- Bell’s Brewery, Comstock, Mich.
- Big Sky Brewing, Missoula, Mont.
- Boston Beer, Boston, Mass.
- Brothers Craft Brewing, Harrisonburg, Va.
- Coronado Brewing, San Diego, Calif.
- D9 Brewing, Cornelius, N.C.
- Devils Backbone Brewing, Lexington, Va.
- Double Barley Brewing, Smithfield, N.C.
- DuClaw Brewing, Baltimore, Md.
- Durty Bull Brewing, Durham, N.C.
- Ecliptic Brewing, Portland, Ore.
- Empire Brewing, Cazenovia, N.Y.
- Flying Fish Brewing, Somerdale, N.J.
- Foothills Brewing, Winston-Salem, N.C.
- Founders Brewing, Grand Rapids, Mich.
- Funky Buddha Brewery, Oakland Park, Fla.
- Grand Teton Brewing, Victor, Idaho
- Great Basin Brewing, Reno, Nev.
- Hardywood Park Craft Brewery, Richmond, Va.
- Heavy Seas Beer, Baltimore, Md.
- Hoppin' Frog Brewing, Akron, Ohio
- Laughing Dog Brewing, Ponderay, Idaho
- Lazy Magnolia Brewing, Kiln, Miss.
- Middle Ages Brewing, Syracuse, N.Y.
- Mill Stream Brewing, Amana, Iowa
- MKE Brewing, Milwaukee, Wisc.
- Mother Earth Brewing, Kinston, N.C.
- New Holland Brewing, Holland, Mich.
- Olde Hickory Brewery, Hickory, N.C.
- The Olde Mecklenburg Brewery, Charlotte, N.C.
- Penn Brewery, Pittsburgh, Pa.
- Pike Brewing, Seattle, Wash.
- Prairie Artisan Ales, Krebs, Okla.
- Rhinegeist Brewery, Cincinnati, Ohio
- RJ Rockers Brewing, Spartanburg, S.C.
- Rogue Ales, Newport, Ore.
- Saint Arnold Brewing, Houston, Texas
- Schlafly Beer, St. Louis, Mo.
- Smuttynose Brewing, Hampton, N.H.
- Southern Tier Brewing, Lakewood, N.Y.
- Thirsty Dog Brewing, Akron, Ohio
- Toppling Goliath Brewing, Decorah, Iowa
- Uinta Brewing, Salt Lake City, Utah
- Victory Brewing, Downington, Pa.
- Verboten Brewing, Loveland, Colo.
- Weyerbacher Brewing, Easton, Pa.
- Wormtown Brewery, Worcester, Mass.
“The craft beer community is very supportive of the Pints for Prostates campaign and has generously assisted us in getting our message to millions of men over the last nine years. What we have been able to accomplish really starts and ends with brewers and beer fans,” Lyke said. “If Pints for Prostates Crowns for as Cure reaches just one guy who benefits from a prostate health screening, then the effort will be a huge success.”
Beer drinkers who spot Pints for Prostates crowns are encouraged to help spread the word by tagging photos on social media with #CrownsforaCure and @pints4prostates, along with the brewery name and location where the bottle caps were found.
Homebrewers who want to take part in Crowns for a Cure can do so by ordering bottle caps from Northern Brewer, which partnered with Pints for Prostates earlier this year on Homebrew Strong, an awareness building effort which includes a special brewing kit.
Pints for Prostates is a 501(c)3 non-profit charity and funds raised by the group go towards its awareness mission and help to fund the education and support programs of the Us TOO International Prostate Cancer Education and Support Network, and free prostates cancer screening programs provided by the Prostate Conditions Education Council.
About Pints for Prostates
Pints for Prostates reaches men through the universal language of beer to encourage them to take charge of their health. The group was founded by prostate cancer survivor and beer writer Rick Lyke in 2008. The grassroots effort raises awareness among men about the importance of regular men’s health screenings by making appearances at beer festivals, social networking and pro bono advertising. According to the National Cancer Institute, approximately 161,000 new prostate cancer cases will be diagnosed in 2017 in the U.S. More information is available at www.pintsforprostates.org. Pints for Prostates also has a presence on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram (@pints4prostates).
Mother Earth Brewing Instagram Contest Rules
NO PURCHASE IS NECESSARY TO ENTER OR WIN. A PURCHASE DOES NOT INCREASE THE CHANCES OF WINNING.
1. Eligibility: This Campaign is open only to those who are 21 years of age as of the date of entry. The Campaign is only open to legal residents of the U.S., and is void where prohibited by law. Employees of Mother Earth Brewing, its affiliates, subsidiaries, advertising and promotion agencies, and suppliers, (collectively the “Employees”) are not eligible to participate in the Campaign. The Campaign is subject to all applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. Void where prohibited.
2. Agreement to Rules: By participating, the Contestant (“You”) agree to be fully unconditionally bound by these Rules, and You represent and warrant that You meet the eligibility requirements. In addition, You agree to accept the decisions of Mother Earth Brewing as final and binding as it relates to the content of this Campaign.
3. Campaign Period: Entries will be accepted online starting on September 1, 2017 at 1pm EST and ending October 1, 2017 at 11:59pm EST. All online entries must be received by October 1, 2017 at 11:59pm EST.
4. How to Enter: Post a photo on Instagram of your Mother Earth Brewing bottle with it's associated Pints for Prostates cap. Include the hashtag #crownsforacure in the photo caption. Tag and follow @motherearthbrew and @pints4prostates for your chance to win!
5. Prizes: The Winner will receive a Mother Earth prize pack, valued at approximately $100. Actual/appraised value may differ at time of prize award. The specifics of the prize shall be solely determined by Mother Earth Brewing. No cash or other prize substitution shall be permitted. The prize is nontransferable. Any and all prize-related expenses, including without limitation any and all federal, state, and/or local taxes, shall be the sole responsibility of Winner. No substitution of prize or transfer/assignment of prize to others or request for the cash equivalent by Winner is permitted. Acceptance of prize constitutes permission for Mother Earth Brewing to use Winner’s name, likeness, and entry for purposes of advertising and trade without further compensation, unless prohibited by law.
6. Winner Selection and Notification: Winner will be selected at random. Winner will be notified by Instagram public post on the Mother Earth Brewing Instagram account on October 3, 2017. Mother Earth Brewing shall have no liability for Winner’s failure to receive notices due to spam, junk e-mail or other security settings or for Winner’s provision of incorrect or otherwise non-functioning contact information. If Winner cannot be contacted, is ineligible, fails to claim the prize within twenty (20) days from the time award notification was sent, or fails to timely return a completed and executed declaration and release as required, the prize may be forfeited and an alternate Winner selected. Receipt by Winner of the prize offered in this Campaign is conditioned upon compliance with any and all federal, state, and local laws and regulations.
7. Terms & Conditions: Mother Earth Brewing reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to cancel, terminate, modify or suspend the Campaign should virus, bug, non-authorized human intervention, fraud, or other cause beyond Mother Earth Brewing's control corrupt or affect the administration, security, fairness, or proper conduct of the Campaign. In such case, Mother Earth Brewing may select the Winner from all eligible entries received prior to and/or after (if appropriate) the action taken by Mother Earth Brewing. Mother Earth Brewing reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual who tampers or attempts to tamper with the entry process or the operation of the Campaign or website or violates these Terms & Conditions. Mother Earth Brewing has the right, in its sole discretion, to maintain the integrity of the Campaign, to void votes for any reason, including, but not limited to: multiple entries from the same user from different IP addresses; multiple entries from the same computer in excess of that allowed by Campaign rules; or the use of bots, macros, scripts, or other technical means for entering. Any attempt by an entrant to deliberately damage any website or undermine the legitimate operation of the Campaign may be a violation of criminal and civil laws. Should such attempt be made, Mother Earth Brewing reserves the right to seek damages to the fullest extent permitted by law.
8. Limitation of Liability: By entering, You agree to release and hold harmless [your company name] and its subsidiaries, affiliates, advertising and promotion agencies, partners, representatives, agents, successors, assigns, employees, officers, and directors from any liability, illness, injury, death, loss, litigation, claim, or damage that may occur, directly or indirectly, whether caused by negligence or not, from: (i) such entrant’s participation in the Campaign and/or his/her acceptance, possession, use, or misuse of any prize or any portion thereof; (ii) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to the malfunction of any computer, cable, network, hardware, or software, or other mechanical equipment; (iii) the unavailability or inaccessibility of any transmissions, telephone, or Internet service; (iv) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process or the Promotion; (v) electronic or human error in the administration of the Promotion or the processing of entries.
9. By entering you are deemed to have read and agree to these Rules. This in no way sponsored, administered, or associated with Instagram, Inc. By entering, entrants confirm they are 21+ years of age, release Instagram of responsibility, and agree to Instagram's term of use.